Distributed version control
A whirlwind minitour - Dan Fitch
- How git works
- Simple git workflow
- The stage and how not to get confused
- Different clients
- Using git to do various stuff
How git works
- What else is different from SVN?
- Faster at almost every operation
- Way more efficient at disk usage
- Better than SVN at branching and merging
- You can work offline (not usually useful here, but it can be!)
- Easy to collaborate using different merge workflows
- Easy to share prototype work in branches
Simple git workflow
does not mean the same thing as in SVN
The three trees:
(It's simpler than it sounds)
- The command line
- How does Phabricator fit into this?
- No NTLM
- SSH and keys
- How painful is this?
Level 1 Git Wizard Spells
- Branching and merging
- Simple ways to compare branches
- Relative refs and refspecs
- Simple ways to look back in time
Level 2 Git Wizard Spells
- Cherry-picking hunks and commits
rebase -i: interactive rebase for rewriting history!
- Config tricks: Fancy logs
- More complex workflow options
Thanks for your time. Let's share more knowledge, yo!